20 Questions to Ask Your Divorce Lawyer
No one enters into a marriage expecting to get a divorce. Otherwise, why would you bother getting married? Divorces can be expensive and emotionally draining. While no one wants to deal with divorce lawyers, there is one divorce taking place in the U.S. every 36 seconds. That is almost 2,400 divorces per day, and over 870,000 each year. In fact, it is estimated that as many as 50% of all first marriages end in divorce. Second marriages are even more doomed, as 60% end in divorce. Couples who marry before age 20 have the highest divorce rate in the United States. Couples over 25 are far less likely to get divorced. Perhaps one can conclude that too many people are rushing into marriage?
Whatever the reason, if you are undergoing a divorce, you would be smart to get help from an experienced divorce lawyer. Below are the 20 most important questions to ask a divorce attorney during your initial meeting.
Questions to Ask a Divorce Attorney
- What is the extent of your experience with divorce cases?
- Do you have experience in mediation in divorce cases?
- Have you handled cases similar to mine in the past? What was the outcome?
- What exactly is involved in the divorce process?
- How do you charge? Is it an hourly rate?
- What do you estimate will be the total cost?
- Will your rate change if we go to trial?
- Are there any additional costs I should be aware of?
- What hours are you in the office? When is the best time to reach you?
- Will anyone else in your office be working on my case? May I be introduced to them?
- Will you personally be handling the negotiations?
- What can I do to reduce the cost of my divorce?
- Based on what you already know, how do you predict a judge will rule on my case?
- What is your strategy for my particular case?
- Do you anticipate any specific issues in my case? What issues or obstacles should I expect?
- Do you recommend mediation or arbitration for my case?
- How long do you think the entire process will take? What is your timeline?
- Based on what you know about my case, what do you think are my chances of obtaining child custody?
- What is the legal framework for dividing marital assets in my state?
- What additional information can I provide you to help my case?
If you need help finding a local divorce lawyer, feel free to share your problem in the comments.