6 Things to Do Before Filing for Divorce
Before picking up those divorce papers, you should set some goals regarding how you want the case to go and what outcome you desire. Once you have a plan of action, the divorce process is bound to go a whole lot smoother.
Here are a few tips to consider before filing for divorce:
- Talk to a therapist: Divorce lawyers can handle your legal issues, but they are not the best resource when it comes to your emotional and psychological issues. Make sure you clear your head in order to make the best decisions in the legal process.
- Pay off joint debts: Before signing anything, try to pay off any and all joint debts you share with your spouse. You don’t want to worry about old debts as you begin your new life.
- Cancel joint credit cards: Make sure you set up your own individual bank and credit card accounts and cancel any joint accounts as soon as possible.
- Support your children: If you have children, check to see if there are any support programs in your area for kids with divorcing parents. The parents of 1.5 million children divorce each year, and other kids going through similar experiences may be able to offer their support and friendship, making the process easier on your own children.
- Update your will: Rewrite or update your will to ensure that your ex does not inherit your estate should anything happen to you before the divorce is finalized. In addition, make sure you change your life insurance plan.
- Choose a reputable divorce lawyer: It is incredibly important that you hire an experienced attorney to represent you. Check online for divorce lawyer reviews and recommendations.
In the United States, as many as 50% of all first marriages end in divorce. In fact, one divorce is finalized every 36 seconds, adding up to nearly 2,400 divorces every day in this country alone.
Many adults have been divorced before you and understand the emotional and financial struggles you are experiencing. You are not alone. If you have any other tips, questions, or suggestions, feel free to post in the comments section below.